Utro dating Hillerød
It was later followed by the Gribskov Line to Græsted (80, extended to Gilleleje in 1896, Helsinge in 1897 and Tisvildeleje in 1924) and the Frederiksværk-Hundested Line (1897-1916), which further contributed to Hillerød's status as a local commercial centre.
The improvements in infrastructure also attracted new industries.
It was converted into the cooperative Hillerød Andelssvineslagteri by 300 local farmers in 1913.
The town is surrounded by the former royal forests of Gribskov to the north and Store Dyrehave to the south.
In 1550, crown prince Frederick acquired Hillerødsholm in exchange for another properties.